A Supplier in Hub is an entity (person, business, or other organization) with whom you have or plan to have an Accounts payable relationship. Suppliers in Hub are actually subaccounts of Accounts payable. You must first create a Supplier before you can:
- Enter a purchase invoice corresponding to a received sales invoice
- Buy on credit for future payment
- Create a supplier statement showing balances due or summarizing past transactions
- Generate a purchase order
- Make a deposit or advance against future work or delivery of goods by someone else
- Issue a debit note for return of goods to someone else
- Track your complete purchase and payment history with another entity
Not everyone from whom you buy must necessarily be a Supplier. You can make a cash purchase involving immediate payment without creating a Supplier simply by entering a name as
Payee when spending money from a cash account. But such transactions will not be recorded in a history for that Payee, even if the Payee is already defined as a Supplier. Examples of purchases where a Supplier might not be needed include:
- Purchases by cash or check from a merchant
- Timely payment of monthly utility bills
- Credit card payments for business expenses
Enable the Suppliers tab
To enable the Suppliers tab, click Customize below the left navigation pane, check the box for Suppliers, and click Update below the list.
Create a Supplier
Select the Suppliers tab, then click the New Supplier button:
Complete the entry. This information will appear on purchase invoices and similar documents:
Nameis the legal name of the supplier
Codeis a short alphabetic or numeric designation of your supplier. If used, the code will appear after the supplier’s name on transactions.
Currencyin which the supplier operates can be selected if a base currency has been set for the business. Transactions for the supplier will be denominated in the designated currency.
Addressshould be the mailing address of the supplier.
Email addressis where documents will be emailed from within the program.
Credit limitis informational. If used, the Suppliers tab listing will show available credit.
Your Supplier will now appear in the Suppliers tab. Suppliers are listed in alphabetical order according to their names. Use scrolling, paging, and search functions to find them. The listing shows the number of purchase invoices created for a Supplier and the Supplier’s Accounts payable balance. Other columns may appear, depending on tabs in use and setup of custom fields. Click on blue numbers for more details of any column.